We believe that excellent opera can be an amazing experience for anyone, of any age, wherever they live and however they spend their days. A Wedmore Opera production is a shared experience that no one forgets.
We believe that the arts change lives. Whether we are making art or enjoying something that someone else has created, the arts lead us to think, to feel and to communicate with each other. For young people, in particular, great experiences in the arts can open doors they never imagined existed.
Every two years, hundreds of people living in and around the village of Wedmore, in Somerset, work side by side with professional singers, players and designers to create a new production. We have a lot of talented people right here, but our carefully selected professional soloists are the difference between Wedmore Opera being very good and outstanding.
We have produced works by Verdi, Puccini, Bizet, Purcell, Mozart and Mascagni, either in a 400-seat Theatre Tent or in the village hall, which seats around 130. We perform for between three and five nights, depending on the venue we choose.
To celebrate our 24th birthday in 2012, we commissioned Eleanor Vale, a new opera from composer John Barber and librettist Peter Cann, inspired by life in Somerset a hundred years ago.
Wedmore Opera is a charitable company. This means that any income we make goes straight back into our productions. Our money comes from a mixture of selling tickets, programmes and refreshments, fundraising events, donations (every £1 donated takes us closer to our target) and the occasional grant. We keep our ticket prices as low as we can, so that the cost isn’t a reason not to come.
We hope you will enjoy exploring this site and will want to get involved.
17 productions - 57 performances - 26 years – 220 volunteers
- 2014 Dido and Aeneas, Purcell, Wedmore Village Hall, 4 performances
- 2012 Eleanor Vale, a Wedmore Opera commission from composer John Barber and librettist Peter Cann, The Theatre Tent, 3 performances
- 2010 Trial by Jury, Gilbert and Sullivan, Wedmore Village Hall, 4 performances
- 2008 La Bohème, Puccini, Wedmore Village Hall, 6 performances
- 2007 Cavalleria Rusticana, Mascagni, Wedmore Village Hall, 4 performances
- 2004 The Pearl Fishers, Bizet, The Theatre Tent, 3 performances
- 2002 Tosca, Puccini, St Mary’s Church, Wedmore, 4 performances
- 2000 Jago, an opera specially commissioned by Wedmore Opera written by Mike Westbrook and Kate Westbrook, The Theatre Tent, 3 performances (World premiere)
- 1998 La Traviata, Verdi, The Theatre Tent, 3 performances
- 1996 Aida, Verdi, The Theatre Tent, 3 performances
- 1995 Dido and Aeneas, Purcell, Wedmore Village Hall, 4 performances
- 1994 Carmen, Bizet, The Theatre Tent, 3 performances
- 1992 Falstaff, Verdi, Wedmore Village Hall, 3 performances
- 1991 A Masked Ball, Verdi, Wedmore Village Hall, 3 performances
- 1990 The Marriage of Figaro, Mozart, Wedmore Village Hall, 3 performances
- 1989 La Bohème, Puccini, Wedmore Village Hall, 3 performances
- 1988 La Traviata, Verdi, Wedmore Village Hall, 2 performances